Postnatal pilates has many benefits and is the perfect way to start getting back into exercise after pregnancy because there is so much focus on stability.
Modern Pilates adopts a clinical and current approach to the original exercises created by Joseph Pilates. It was designed by Physiotherapists and some of the best Pilates experts in the UK.
What happens to your body during pregnancy?
The hormone relaxin is released at high levels in pregnancy to allow your pelvis to accommodate the growing child and to separate during the birth. However, it affects the connective tissue throughout the whole body and therefore stability decreases during and sometimes up to six months after pregnancy.
All joints are therefore more susceptible to injury and high impact activity should be avoided for at least a few months after childbirth to allow time for the joints to start stabilising.
It is vital to learn to recruit the deep stabilising muscles of the pelvic floor, transverse abdominus (deep abdominals) and multifidi (deep spinal muscles) to reduce the risk of injury.
Postnatal pilates is the perfect way to start getting back into exercise after pregnancy because there is so much focus on stability.
What are the benefits of doing Pilates after pregnancy?
• Rehabilitation of pelvic floor, abdominal and spinal muscles
• It provides an avenue for the body to regain strength
• Retrains muscles to recover from extensive changes experienced during pregnancy
• Provides an outlet and social activity for new mums
• Prepares the body for aerobic or more high impact exercise
• Helps with Rectus Diastasis (abdominal separation) recovery
• Strengthens the upper body to help with breast feeding and lifting
Thinking of postnatal Pilates? Remember…
• To take things gently and gradually
• Wait until you are over the 6 week mark and have been given the all clear by your GP before attending your first class
• Be persistent as your body will feel very different from your pre-pregnancy days
• Having a new baby is the hardest job out there, don't worry if you have days when you just don't feel up to exercising. Take a rest and pick up when you feel you can.
Exercise Angels Logo
Exercise Angels provide Modern Pilates classes in the Lancashire area and bespoke ‘one to one’ classes. With over 14 years experience in the fitness industry and specialist training in Pre/Post natal, you are in safe and educated hands.
For information on new classes starting in the Chorley area contact Ruth at Exercise Angels.
Tel - 07794 188199
Email - email@example.com